We learn best by combining new ideas with our existing knowledge and applying our increasing skills in a variety of ways.
Learning is an active process, and our practice section gives you the opportunity to try out your language in a number of interesting scenarios.
- Dialogues - examples of real English in a range of authentic situations:
- Listening - have fun improving your listening skills.
- Speaking - learn to speak naturally and confidently by improving your English accent.
- Common Mistakes - avoid the most common mistakes made by learners of English.
- Your Real Star Sign - a fun way to discover the language of personality.
- The Reading Room - test your reading comprehension.
- Poetry - learn to analyze poems and start writing your own.
Mastering the American Accent. If you speak English as your second language and want to express yourself with greater clarity, confidence, and accuracy, speech expert Lisa Mojsin's book and audio program will give you the instruction and advice you're looking for. Specific exercises help you concentrate on perfecting vowel sounds, as well as problematic consonants such as TH, V, W, and the American R and L. You will learn to stress the correct syllable of each word and link your words rhythmically for more natural, American-sounding speech. You'll also find help from this program's native language guide, which references problematic accent issues of 13 different language backgrounds. The set of four CDs enclosed with this book use both male and female voices to coach you in correct American pronunciation.
Ultimate Phrasal Verb Book. Updated to reflect questions found on various recent ESL tests, this book presents 400 common phrasal verbs as they are used in everyday English. Phrasal verbs are verbs combined with prepositions or adverbs. Becoming familiar with phrasal verbs and understanding how they are commonly used as nouns (for example, breakup and show-off), or as adjectives (spaced-out, broken-down, stressed-out and many others) is essential to speaking and understanding modern English. Students preparing for the TOEFL or other ESL exams will find this book's many examples and exercises especially helpful.