We learn best by combining new ideas with our existing knowledge and applying our increasing skills in a variety of ways.
Learning is an active process, and our practice section gives you the opportunity to try out your language in a number of interesting scenarios.
- Dialogues - examples of real English in a range of authentic situations:
- Listening - have fun improving your listening skills.
- Speaking - learn to speak naturally and confidently by improving your English accent.
- Common Mistakes - avoid the most common mistakes made by learners of English.
- Your Real Star Sign - a fun way to discover the language of personality.
- The Reading Room - test your reading comprehension.
- Poetry - learn to analyze poems and start writing your own.
Common American Phrases in Everyday Contexts. Covers almost 2,000 common phrases and colloquial expressions used in contemporary American English. From greetings and good-byes to everyday small talk, each entry is presented in a realistic context. Special attention to the needs of non-native speakers includes usage restrictions and cautions as well as a phrase-finder index for on-the-spot reference. An essential dictionary for all students of English who want to know the most common expressions in American speech today.
Essential Idioms in English: Phrasal Verbs and Collocations. From catching a cold to landing on your feet, idiomatic expressions add color and style to the English language. The latest edition of Essential Idioms in English remains the resource of choice for mastering more than 500 common English idioms, phrasal verbs, and collocations. Essential Idioms in English thoroughly defines and illustrates each idiom, then reinforces its meaning and usage with multiple-choice, true-false, fill-in-the-blank, and matching exercises.